What Your Child Will Learn in Calvert's Second Grade Course
Below are highlights of the Second Grade curriculum. For the full course outlines, download the files below by right-clicking each link and choosing "Save Link As."
Download the Core course outline.
Download the Calvert Math course outline.
Download the Math in Focus course outline.
- Reviewing word analysis techniques, long vowels, digraphs, consonant clusters, vowel pairs, blends, and r-controlled vowels
- Developing comprehension skills
- Building strategies for comparing, contrasting, predicting, inferring, and drawing conclusions
- Identifying cause and effect
- Recognizing topics, main ideas, and details
- Reading appealing anthologies and phonics library book of stories
- Developing critical thinking skills
- Practicing Calvert Script as reinforcement of learning to read
- Writing dictated words and sentences
- Writing compositions
- Practicing spelling and vocabulary
- Learning rules of punctuation
- Adding and subtracting 2- and 3-digit numbers
- Patterns in addition and subtraction
- Measuring weight, capacity, and temperature
- Problem-solving strategies
- Telling time in 5-minute increments
- 2- and 3-dimensional geometric figures
- Introducing multiplication and division
Math in Focus
- Comparing and ordering numbers up to 100
- Identifying and continuing number patterns
- Making bar models to solve word problems
- Multiplying and dividing by 2, 3, 4, 5, and 10
- Rounding to the nearest 10 to estimate sums and differences
- Identifying coins and bills up to $20
- Exploring lines, curves, and surfaces
- Developing natural curiosity
- Questioning, investigating, experimenting
- Studying living things, our Earth, weather, matter, motion, and energy
- Exploring original read-aloud narratives that include biographies of legendary Old World figures, explorers, inventors, and leaders in American life, as well as accounts of famous events (Paul Revere’s ride, fall of the Berlin Wall)
- Investigating the five themes of geography, compass direction, maps, symbols, globes, continents, relative and exact locations, boundaries, and regions
- Extending the fundamentals of American civics and government (cooperation, accountability, conflict resolution, patriotism)
- Examining the economic concepts of goods and services, income, scarcity of resources, markets, and banking
Lessons, activities, and online interactive learning tools are integrated with the curriculum, particularly Reading and Science.
- Introduction to touch typing
- Word processing basics
- Introduction to spreadsheets
- Using e-mail and the Internet
- Beginning database skills
- Visual mapping
- Developing new skills in drawing
- Studying famous paintings
Go back to Calvert's Second Grade Curriculum page.