What Your Child Will Learn in Calvert's Fourth Grade Course
Below are highlights of the Fourth Grade curriculum. For the full course outlines, download the files below by right-clicking each link and choosing "Save Link As."
Download the Core course outline (with A Child's History of the World.)
Download the Core course outline (with Regions).
Download the Calvert Math course outline.
Download the Math in Focus course outline.
- Reading children’s classics (Robinson Crusoe, Famous Legends, Island of the Blue Dolphins)
- Developing critical thinking skills
Developing skills through lessons coordinated with reading, spelling, and composition; activities in phonics workbook
Spelling & Vocabulary
- Reinforcing correct spelling through daily exercises and spelling strategies
- Reviewing commonly misspelled words
- Introducing cross-curricular words
- Integrating spelling with phonics, vocabulary studies, reading, and writing
- Using the four-stage approach to write factual, creative, and descriptive compositions
- Organizing key words into phrases using shape planners
- Writing poetry and letters
- Introducing verbs of being
- Verb tense; regular and irregular verbs
- Subject complements
- Comparing adjectives and adverbs
- Punctuation skills
- Fluency and accuracy drills in four operations
- Multiply, divide three digits
- Understanding mixed numbers
- Adding and subtracting decimals
- Comparing, adding, and subtracting fractions
- Circle and line graphs
Math in Focus: Singapore Math
- Comparing and ordering numbers to 100,000
- Using rounding and front-end estimation
- Finding factors and multiples of whole numbers
- Finding the mean, median, mode, and range of a data set
- Determining the probability of an event
- Measuring and creating angles and line segments
- Classifying living things
- Matter and scientific measurement
- Electricity, circuits, magnets
- Vertebrates and invertebrates
- Water resources
- Human body and motion
- Rocks and fossils
Lessons, activities, and online interactive learning tools are integrated with the curriculum, particularly with Science.
- Practicing keyboarding and touch typing
- Intermediate word processing and desktop publishing
- Database and Internet research
- Using spreadsheets to create graphs and tables
- Developing presentation software skills
- Reading for pleasure
Students have the option of using two different history textbooks:
- History: Using Hillyer’s A Child's History of the World to conduct general survey of world history from earliest times to present; featuring a history workbook with outlines and enrichment activities
- Social Studies: Using Regions, focus on geography, history, economics, and people who live in different regions of the U.S.
- Focus on the five themes of geography to teach directions
- Distances and scale
- Various types of maps
- Longitude and latitude
Improving skills using lines, light sources, and motion; integrated with history studies
Go back to Calvert's Fourth Grade Curriculum page.